Calls for Proposals and Tenders
EU Civil Society Facility and Media Programme in favour of the Western Balkans and Turkey for 2021-2023 (IPA III)
- Regional thematic networks of Civil Society Organisations;
- Small scale projects in support of good neighbourly relations between Serbia and Kosovo*;
- Regional CSOs networks promoting media freedom and freedom of expression; and
- Quality Journalism initiative
An active civil society is a critical component of democratic systems and an important player in reform processes taking place in the Western Balkans and Turkey. An empowered and active civil society is an essential component of any democracy. Civil society organisations (CSOs) can contribute to addressing many societal challenges, by engaging in the policy debates, putting forward innovative, sustainable and inclusive solutions and monitoring the results of reform processes at beneficiary, regional and local level. CSOs in the Western Balkans and Turkey need to engage in a range of challenges faced by their societies, including in fields such as rule of law, corruption, organized crime, economy, social cohesion and environmental protection.
A free and pluralistic media serves to reveal the multifaceted nature of society and promotes dialogue and tolerance. Critical scrutiny by independent media of the political processes guarantees their transparency and ensures that governments adhere to predictable policies – free from the interests of narrow pressure groups.
Furthermore, both civil society and media have important roles to play in promoting confidence building and good neighbourly relations throughout the region, including normalisation of relations between Serbia and Kosovo. In addition, CSOs - particularly women’s organisations - and media have a key role in identifying and addressing various gender imbalances and gaps.
This Call for Proposals is launched in the framework of the EU Civil Society Facility and Media Programme in favour of the Western Balkans and Turkey for 2021-2023 (CSF). In an overall vision of enhanced regional cooperation, good neighbourly relations and reconciliation, the overall objective of the CSF is to strengthen participatory democracies and the EU integration and approximation process in the Western Balkans and Turkey, through a strengthened contribution by civil society and media.
The global objective of this call for proposals is, in an overall vision of enhanced regional cooperation, good neighbourly relations and reconciliation, to strengthen participatory democracies and the EU approximation process in the Western Balkans and Turkey.
The specific objectives of this call for proposals are:
1. Strengthened CSO capacities and engagement opportunities in policy- and decision making across various thematic areas, including those addressed by the EIP;
2. Enhanced neighbourly relations between Serbia and Kosovo;
3. Increased capacity of journalist professional organisations and networks; and
4. Enhanced professional capacity of journalists, media outlets and media institutions to exercise the right to freedom of expression and access to information and to promote media pluralism.
Deadline for submission of concept notes:
24/05/2022 at 18:00 (Brussels date and time)
Access the documents at:
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.